PARSEC RESIDENCY is a call addressed to emerging artists, curators and researchers, Italian and international, who come from different fields and disciplines without constraints of age, education, expression or language.
The residency program aims to encourage individual and collective research, initiating a collaborative process aimed at the production of new works and projects.
For its sixth edition, PARSEC RESIDENCY offers two different residency programs: PARSEC RESIDENCY and PARSEC RESIDENCY /MOVING IMAGE.
PARSEC RESIDENCY provides an informal environment for discussion in which to deepen one’s artistic practice and expand one’s research through a four-month residency period. There are no specific indications on the theme and medium used, and the program will conclude with a final return within Parsec’s spaces during Art City 2024.
PARSEC RESIDENCY/MOVING IMAGE, on the other hand, focuses on audiovisual productions. During the four-month residency the selected artist will have the opportunity to work on a project to be presented within DIVERSIONS, the moving image exhibition organized by Parsec in collaboration with the Circolo Dev that will take place during Art City 2024.
The residency program will take place at Parsec headquarters at Via del Porto 48 C/D in Bologna, from October 9, 2023 to February 9, 2024.
●The residency program does not provide room and board
●Selectees will be asked to contribute €100 per month for the costs of maintenance of the space
●It is required that the artist does not have any other residency projects in progress and can guarantee a constant and stable presence in the space in order to ensure effective collaboration and fruitful engagement during the four-month project. This will allow the Parsec team to productively follow and support the artist and create a cohesive environment of constant exchange between residents
PARSEC RESIDENCY OFFERS
● Shared studio of 20 square meters with two workstations.
● Access to the studio seven days a week
● Access to use the tools and materials in the space, printers, scanners, darkroom, books and catalogs for reference
● Wi-Fi connection
● The opportunity to contribute to a public program with workshops, open studios, talks and events
● Organization of studio visits, group tutorials and specific visiting tutorials designed by Parsec based on the artist’s practice, research and interests
● Critical and practical support in the development of one’s personal project, which will result in a final return
● Communication and promotion
Parsec aims to be a meeting place for different artistic visions and practices.
Two artists, curators and researchers will be selected: one for PARSEC RESIDENCY program and one for PARSEC RESIDENCY/MOVING IMAGE who will share the studio.
Selection will be made according to the following criteria:
Quality of artistic practice, the need to work in a shared studio, openness to confrontation, willingness to collaborate and open up to the public through meetings and discussions of various kinds, possibility of in-depth study of the issues addressed through the public program, validity and feasibility of the proposed project for the specific residency program. A particular interest in issues related to the relationship between art and ecology will be positively evaluated.
● for artist(s): willingness to discuss around their practice by presenting their work during CRIT, studio visits, open studios and workshops organized in collaboration with Parsec
● for curators and researchers: willingness to propose, develop and manage a part of the program related to their research and publication and/or management of the in-depth section on parsecbologna.com; presentation of their research through talk or final event at the end of the residency.
Applications can be submitted no later than Sunday, September 17, 2023.
Applications sent after this date will not be considered.
September 20 and 21, 2023: Selection interviews at the Parsec office (with online meeting available).
October 9, 2023: actual start of the residency
HOW TO APPLY
Fill out the APPLICATION FORM at the following link:
APPLICATION FORM _ ENG
PAST STUDIO VISITORS
Adiacenze (curators – Amerigo Mariotti and Giorgia Tronconi), Alchemilla (Multifunctional space for the arts – Bologna), Amina Berdin (Assistant curator at Pirelli HangarBicocca), Michele Bertolino (curator and founder of Il Colorificio – Milan), Campobase (curators – Irene Angenica, Stefano Volpato and Ginevra Ludovici), Cristian Chironi (artist), Giulia Gaibisso (IUNO – research center on contemporary art – Rome), Galleria Più (Bologna), Carolina Gestri (curator of Lo Schermo dell’Arte, Teacher at Istituto Marangoni Florence and at IED Florence), Stefano Giuri (artist and curator at Toast Project Space – Florence), Tea Gradassi (SpazioA – Pistoia), Laura Lecce (curator at Castello di Rivoli Museo d’Arte Contemporanea and founder of Pelagica), Elena Magini (curator at Pecci Museum – Prato), Caterina Molteni (Assistant Curator at MAMbo – Museum of Modern Art in Bologna), Associazione Ottovolante (international residency project – Bologna), Marta Pellerini (curator at the British School at Rome), Laura Rositani (curator and writer), TBD Ultramagazine (curators – Camilla Compagni and Francesca Manni).
FOR MORE INFO AND/OR QUESTIONS